Monday, May 30, 2011

Highs and Lows

Globaloria for my second year has still proven to be an evolving curriculum. When I finished my first year I couldn't wait to try the class on my own. As I finish my second year, I reflect on what I think worked well and what did not work well in the class. Although some would not like a curriculum that could possibly be different each year, this is what really makes Globaloria a great classroom curriculum and experience for both teachers and students. --It is really what you (the teacher) and students make it!

After two years, I can honestly say I really enjoy teaching the curriculum and I REALLY enjoy the challenge of making the class better for the next academic year. Although the platform or footprint of the curriculum is well-established, the classroom environment can direct the class in different directions. Their can be classes that run with flash, those that run with wiki development and research, and those that really run with the blogging. This does not mean that learning does not occur in one area more than the other, it just means that the type of students in each class can really direct the emphasis and/or outcome of each class.

As I reflect on this year, I quickly note highs and lows for this year's effort. I did not feel that I was able to cover the Chemistry II portion of the class to the level that I would have liked; but I feel that the students were still able to achieve a great deal in spite of the obstacles they had to get over (school construction, lack of enough laptops for most of the year, etc.). With this in mind, I am up for the challenge of achieving more next year knowing what worked well and what did not work so well. I am looking forward to beginning again to see what my students can do this next year.--Bring it on! (Of course, with a slight break over the summer....)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive