Thursday, November 18, 2010

Quality or Quantity?

In my "past life" I dealt with Quantity over Quality on a daily basis. What does this mean? It means that I worked in a world where environmental data was quantified to very finite concentrations and documented using very strict regulations, quality control, precision, and accuracy. Now, in my current "life" I have found that I cannot approach my students utilizing these same criteria. I actually have to do the complete opposite: Quality over Quantity.
Now, why would this be important or even make a difference in the educational arena? In the time that I have been associated with a classroom environment I have decided that it is more important to give students the skills that will allow them to be learners rather than be students who know every minute detail of the class material that I expose them to. To me, it is more important that the students develop the skills to be able to research, write, speak, problem-solve, etc. If they can do these things, they will be able to succeed in ANY and EVERY educational endeavor that they pursue. One of the few arenas that makes this experience possible is the Globaloria classroom. A "completer" of this program becomes a "turn-key" learner and a well-equipped global competitor. What other curriculum allows the students to be exposed to literacy (reading, writing, interpersonal skills, public speaking, and research), problem-solving, critical thinking, design, engineering, success, failure that leads to success, and so much more?

Having been exposed to both arenas, I'll take Quality over Quantity any day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive